Sunday, October 28, 2018

A5







          For this assignment, I used an Epson machine to scan different areas of my body. At first, I was not sure how to approach this project. I know I wanted to do something abstract for I have always been inspired by abstract art. I used the abstract art movement, more specially semi abstraction, as my motivation and inspiration for this project. The abstract art movement began in the 1900’s and is still popular today. It includes a variety of visual elements to create a separation of reality. Several inspirations of abstract work went into the making of my own semi abreaction piece, yet I chose one particular work that really inspired me. From this abstract piece, I really enjoyed the symmetry indicated and the curves in the piece; therefore I decided to include similar aspects into my own work. 

(inspiration image)

            To create my own abstraction, I arranged my art according to the shape, color, and symmetry of each piece. I wanted to address the idea of technology and people around the world. On the bottom, I incorporated an abstract layer of various lines to suggest the idea of a computer screen. Since our world is becoming so dependent on technology, we treat it almost as a foundation in our own lives. This statement is true for all groups of people. Unintentionally, I printed out black and white copies of my skin. Though the printer was out of toner (which made the copies whiter than usual), it made the art have an increased ambiguity regarding diversity. I believe that the “different skin tones” in my piece can suggest that truly all groups of people are moving towards a technological foundation in their lives. I also used a variety of hand motions in the piece because our hands are a fundamental element in the creation of an obsession with technology. For the shape of the piece as a whole, I used a significant amount of symmetry. Yet as you can see, the piece swirls and stretches away from the main foundation. This was meant to reveal that if we don’t have a foundation of technology, we can roam free and find something more meaningful in our lives to create a new foundation with. 
            I wanted to suggest this idea of technology as our foundation because it’s happening all around us. Using ideas form abstract art made in the early 1900’s, I incorporated many of these abstract principles into my semi abstract piece. I used a fixed amount of particular items that you can define yet they are arranged to create an ambiguous message.  

3 comments:

  1. So glad we were able to work on this project together, even just by going to get the scans complete. That definitely added to the fun. Your work came out so nicely! It's very beautiful and symbolic. I love how you took the time to convey a message with your piece. That added to its relevancy and overall creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool piece which you clearly put a lot of time and effort in to. I like how you decided to do a fixed piece and utilized the space of the floor that you had available. The setup enables you to create a work of symmetry that expands across the medium and draws the viewer in. Overall it is a very intriguing design and your inspiration is definitely evident and expanded upon in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really smart the way you put it together. Your inspiration is not a random picture. It clearly show that you used it as reference and it gaved you a good idea for your abstract art. I love the repetition that was use all over and the idea such as a mirror, whatever happens in the left happens in the right

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

         For my final project I did a video about time. I explored the ideologies of time and asked the viewer what time means to them,...