Wednesday, September 12, 2018

X1





Name: Shell City 

Artist Statement: 
            I wanted to merge something opposite of one another, in which this image is an object from nature and an object from the modern world. My work can suggest the dangerous relationship between nature and metropolis. Even though it’s a work of art, it symbolizes an ambiguous idea that there is a deeper issue underneath the aesthetics. I drew a large turtle with a city on top of it’s shell to symbolize how the modern world is overtaking nature around us through the massive universal issue of pollution. Even though the city is smaller than the turtle itself, it is a powerful dominator. It sits on top of the turtle’s shell, in which this area is usually one of the most fundamental areas of protection of the turtle’s shell. Since the city replaces protection, this leaves the turtle not only vulnerable but also exposed to nature's most threatening element: pollution.   
            My inspiration for this piece was seeing pieces of trash and smog in the river. It seemed that there are few thoughts about pollution in the city, which not only affect the land but also the wildlife living within. This ideology can be found not just in my own city, but in cities all over the world. Pollution is a growing problem in the oceans, rivers, streets, and many other locations. Therefore, I wanted to draw something that symbolized something that seemed beautiful yet hazardous. 
            I drew a turtle and a city to symbolize how pollution has a malicious affect on nature. It suggests the idea of how bad pollution truly is and how it is hurting animals in the cities and all over the world. Perhaps my art, inspired from my own pollution experience, will speak to others about the issue of pollution vs. nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project

         For my final project I did a video about time. I explored the ideologies of time and asked the viewer what time means to them,...